Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Remembering Mom


Jacquelyn Stockman McCarthy; Jackie; Mom
 This is my mom, biologically (clarification explained later), and tomorrow marks the 11th anniversary of her move to Heaven.  I cannot wait to see her again and catch up.  I'm sure she'll have lots to say on the things she's been watching from above.  I remember so many times growing up when I did NOT want to hear what she had to say... and then later, I became an adult and started loving her for talking to me so much.  By God's grace, we became extremely close before she died.  She was my best friend - for a while, one of the only people I'd really show my full self to.  As you can see from this old picture, we shared a love of cats.  (So to all those who call me a cat lady, I can't help it; it's in the genes)  We did not share a love of short hair.  This is the ONLY time in my life I've had hair this short, and it only occurred then because I could've cared less about hair at that age.  One of my favorite things about her was the way she shared my sense of humor.  We had very similar brainwaves in this area, always laughing at the same things, usually some form of slapstick comedy.  Looking back, another of my favorite things about her caused quite a bit of stress between us.  I think we were probably quite similar in a lot of ways, and that resulted in many arguments, shouting matches, and tears (mostly from me, but she had her share too).  Dad got to play peacemaker a lot during my teens.  But by the end, things had calmed down, and I couldn't imagine anyone ever filling the hole she'd leave when she left.

But God wasn't going to leave me without a mother here on earth, so 5 years later, and within the span of 6 months He blessed me with TWO more moms!  Here these lovely women:


Donna, my mother-in-law, came first.  She is an absolutely amazingly talented woman.  In addition to her skills of playing the piano, decorating like nobody's business, sewing probably anything you could ask for, and cooking restaurant-quality food at home, she puts endless amounts of energy into taking care of her family.  She has taught me how wonderful a spa can be, the number of hours needed to properly cook a roast (which I still have not tried), and how to use spray paint to liven up furniture (which I also still have not tried... can you tell I'm a bit intimidated? ;).  She's one of the few people who has successfully surprised me for my birthday - that is not an easy feat, folks, ask Waylon.  She also has the most tender hugs when we visit. 

Belinda came next.  Her gifts of listening and patience are medal-worthy.  I know it's part of why Dad married her and part of why she has such a devoted group of girls seeking her mentorship at church.  Belinda radiates calm and contentment (unless she's in the kitchen; then it's all business:)  She has taught me to take a breath, and try to see the side of an argument I don't really want to see.  She reminds me of the value of wisdom and unwavering trust in what God may be teaching me in any given situation.  And she daily lives this out in her own life, refusing to worry or get upset over those areas where she has no control (also intimidating!).  Her hugs are right up there with Donna's.  Oh, and interestingly enough, Belinda, too, plays the piano.  ;) 

I am so blessed to have these mothers.  They are truly "beauty from ashes", and a lovely example of God's own tender and compassionate and creative and wise heart.  I don't tell them enough how much I love them, so here goes: 
                                          
                                               Mama and Mom ...
                                  I LOVE you.

2 comments:

  1. Carolyn - I had no idea your mother passed away. This December will be twelve years since my own mom died. My story is completely different, but I love where God has given you some new mothers in your life to love on you and cherish you as a daughter. I honestly don't really have that in my life, but it warms my heart for women that do and feels redeeming somehow. Thanks for sharing this today. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing from your heart! The anniversary of my dad's death is coming up in a month and your post was very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete